First let me say this…I’m a big MMJ fan. My boy CT hooked me up with the new one just yesterday and I’ve only had limited time to listen to Evil Urges. Here’s my first blush reaction to tracks 1-8:
1. Evil Urges – “oh cool…it’s the new Flaming Lips album!”
2. Touch Me I’m Going to Scream Pt. 1 – “Wow, the new Lips album sounds alot like Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots!”
3.Highly Suspicious – “Awesome! Mike Patton and Faith No More do a guest track on this thing.” This is dead up like FNM at their silliest moments or even Mr. Bungle.
4. I’m Amazed – “Classic MMJ stuff.”
5. Thank you Too! – “Now we’re in a rhythem with the classic MMJ sound.”
6. Sec Walkin – “Wait…turn it back…this is AM Radio Gold station.”
7. Two Halves – “The Beach Boys??! Cool…I think.”
8. Librarian – “Who switched the station back to AM Radio Gold? Did he even just mention Karen Carpenter?”
Sounds negative, right? Nah, the new album sounds great. They are certainly taking some chances though with the new “experimental” sound. It’s cool…it was cool when the Flaming Lips did it too.
I’ll post about the rest of the tracks later.